Tuesday, January 14 2014
As the winter months roll on it can be easy to pay little mind to your fireplace or furnace. If you use a fireplace as one of your main sources of heat, it can be easy to overwork your fireplace and end up with a potentially deadly problem: carbon monoxide leakage. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can be deadly if present in large amounts. Here are a few pointers to remember about carbon monoxide.
-Since it is difficult to detect, it is imperative to have at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home.
-Young children and elderly individuals are more at risk since they may not be aware of an issue or able to correct it.
-Carbon monoxide can come from some different sources, but a fireplace or furnace can be a potential leakage area, especially during winter months when they are working overtime.
It is important to keep your fireplace in good working order, and have it inspected regularly to ensure that there are no leaks or issues relating to fireplace operations or carbon monoxide leakage. Some important things to look for include cracks on the seals of the fireplace or chimney, making sure that the flute of the fireplace is not rusted or cracked, and removing any obstructions that would send the exhaust from the fireplace back into the living area. A fireplace like the one pictured below would be a candidate for immediate repair.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can begin with lightheadedness or nausea, but it can progress to chest pains or loss of consciousness, and even become fatal in extreme cases. If you have any questions about your fireplace, have it inspected as soon as possible, and do not use it until you are sure all components are functioning properly. Have a safe and happy winter, from everyone at Chicago Fireplace & Chimney Co.